World Space Week
This week is World Space Week. World space week takes part between the 4th October and 10th October. The theme for 2019 is “The Moon: Gateway to the Stars” to find out more visit https://www.worldspaceweek.org/
Earth and Space is covered in the Year 5 curriculum. Below you will find some extracts from our books which you can use with planning your curriculum.
In the year 5 primary curriculum children need to be able to:
- Describe the movement of the Earth, and other planets, relative to the Sun in the solar system.
- Describe the movement of the Moon relative to the Earth.
- Describe the Sun, Earth and Moon as approximately spherical bodies.
- Use the idea of the Earth’s rotation to explain day and night and the apparent movement of the sun across the sky.
Sticky Knowledge – Physics: Earth and Space
Movement of the Earth and the planets
Movement of the Moon
Night and day
- Know about and explain the movement of the Earth and other planets relative to the Sun
- Know about and explain the movement of the Moon relative to the Earth
- Know and demonstrate how night and day are created
- Describe the Sun, Earth and Moon (using the term spherical)
Extract taken from our Science Knowledge Mat ebook which can be purchased on our website by clicking here.
There are 25 knowledge mats included. These knowledge mats have been designed to help schools to get across what pupils should know at the end of a unit of teaching. The mats provide a reminder for staff of the important ‘subject-specific’ language that pupils ought to know.
Extract taken from: Science Knowledge Mats. Find out more and view sample pages here.
View our blog post for our Earth and Space plan based on the Learning Challenge Curriculum. Click here.
European Space Agency, ESA – YouTube – YouTube channel with videos from the ISS.
ISS HD Earth Viewing Experiment – Live streaming of the Earth from the ISS.
Space Oddity song sung by astronaut Chris Hadfield – Song recorded in space on the ISS.
NASA – Youtube – ISS and mission videos.
NASA kids club – Games and fun information for children.
Vicky is the Marketing Executive at Focus Education.