This growth mindset package will empower students by building their learning capability.
Children can often find learning a challenge and as a result may just give up and consequently think of themselves as lacking the capabilty to be successful. For some children, being in school can feel like one of failure rather than a positive learning experience.
The pionnering work of Dr.Carol Dweck has introdued the concept of growth mindset, that intelligence can be developed and is not fixed. Children can learn that by making an effort and practising they can make progress. This takes away the fear of failure and celebrates making mistakes as part of the learning process.'Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow'
Anthony J D'Angelo
The key concepts are introduced to pupils over eight learning sessions. Each session has a set of teacher guidance notes for planning, a PowerPoint and a student workbook.
The sessions include:
1. An Introduction to Learning - Exploring the concept of learning as well as recognising strengths & areas for development.
2. Learning Attitudes - Understanding the differences between mindsets & exploring how to develop a growth mindset.
3. Neuroscience - Understanding how the brain works & the link to learning.
4. Learning Zones - Understanding of what makes learning challenging. Exploring the value of making mistakes & strategies on how to face challenges.
5. Motivation & Language - Understanding the impact of using growth mindset language on motivation & learning.
6. Personal Challenges - Understanding how a growth mindset is helpful in taking on challenges.
7. Feedback - Understanding the purpose of growth mindset feedback & how to use it.
8. Integrating the Learning - Identifying & implementing strategies to embed growth mindset learning.
The benefits of the programme include, improving self esteem, building the capacity to learn, greater individual aspirations, more collaborative learning through effective feedback and developing strategies and motivation to encourage life long learning.