Supporting schools in their approach to Ofsted 2019: Quality of EducationExtract from Ofsted draft Quality of Education:
The ... curriculum is coherently planned and sequenced ... Teachers and leaders use assessment well ... leaders understand the limitations of assessment and do not use it in a way that creates unnecessary burdens for staff or learners ... Teachers ... support the intent of a coherently planned curriculum, sequenced towards cumulatively sufficient knowledge and skills ...
This remarkable, easy-to-use resource fully supports a school's approach to the new Ofsted Quality of Education judgement, at the stages of intent, implementation,
and the evaluation of impact
. It supports planning for skills progression within all subjects of the National Curriculum, by identifying both generic and subject specific key skills which are essential to learning, and setting them into a hierarchical continuum.
The resource is supplied in editable Word and pdf formats, and a short PowerPoint guide is also included.
The Rainbow Continuum of Skills identifies skills progression in both core and foundation subjects. It supports the acquisition of knowledge by identifying the statutory requirements alongside the continuum of skills which teachers should be planning for and which children should be using to deepen their understanding. The Rainbow Continuum is made broadly following Bloom's Hierarchy of Skills to give a sensible, challenging, and realistic continuum of learning.
The resource supports classroom teachers and the new Ofsted report by:
- Supporting coherent planning and the sequencing of lessons
- Giving a straightforward continuum of knowledge and skills, helping to ensure progress for all
- Structuring the way in which teachers can both support and challenge learning, through a parallel to Bloom's hierarchy of skills
- Supporting decisions as to the pitch of lessons
- Giving clear criteria for assessment in all foundation subjects, to lessen the burden for teachers
- Focusing on high expectations when children are applying key skills across the curriculum.