Judging Year 1, 3, 4 and 5 Writing provides support for teachers of these year groups and also to English and assessment leaders of primary school. The focus is on pupils' writing and the assessment of the writing.
It aims to support teachers' judgements through focusing on the National Curriculum requirements and differentiates between writing that is not yet at the National Standard, writing at the National Standard and writing at greater depth within the National Standard. It follows the format of the assessment frameworks for Year 2 and 6 in order to provide a consistent approach to the assessment of writing across the school.
It breaks the outcomes into 3 areas:
- Working towards the National Standard;
- Working at the National Standard;
- Working at Greater Depth within the National Standard.
It looks at each of the following areas:
- Composition and Effect;
- Structure and Organisation;
- Grammar, sentence structure and vocabulary;
- Drafting, editing and proof reading;
- Spelling and handwriting.